Albany students are less likely to own a musical instrument or have the means to rent one. Even at the advanced high school level, more than 50% of Albany music students are using a school instrument.
The Albany Fund for Education collects musical instruments. All donated instruments are refurbished and restored to playing condition before being given to an Albany student. Since 2014, generous donors have put more than 500 musical instruments into the hands of Albany musicians.
We are looking for the following instruments:
- Band and orchestra instruments and hand drums
- Accessories like shoulder rests, drumsticks and tuners
- Instrument cases in good condition
- Donations to help with costs of restoring donated instruments
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept pianos or organs.
How to Donate an Instrument
Print out an instrument donation form and fill it out or complete this online form. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 518-417-2107. You may make arrangements to have your instrument picked up, or if you prefer, to drop it off. AFE is a 501c3 organization, so all donations are tax deductible to the full extent of state and federal laws and will be receipted accordingly.
We Also Need Donations to Repair Musical Instruments
The Albany Fund for Education gets a lot of used instruments through our Instrument Donation Program. However, some of the instruments we get through donations are not in the best condition and need repairs.
- With a significant discount from our friends at John Keal Music, AFE is bringing these musical instruments back to life.
- Over 500 instruments have gotten a second life and are being used by students in the Albany City School district.
- Thanks to the extraordinary generosity of our instrument donors, we have more instruments than we can currently afford to repair. Even after donations from the Albany Friends of Music, Aimee Allaud, and others we still have 40 instruments waiting to be repaired. More expensive repairs on valuable instruments are often postponed in the interest of moving forward with less expensive repairs that will put instruments in student hands faster.
- We have several flutes and clarinets along with an oboe and tenor saxophone that are in dire need of repair. With your financial support, AFE can help bring these beautiful instruments back to prime condition and into the hands of students.
Click this link to Help Repair an Instrument!